Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Easy Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

As St. Patrick's Day quickly approaches, I'm in the mood to make classic recipes fitting for the ocassion.  Corned Beef and Cabbage, a favorite even in Hawaii, is a recipe that I will attempt to make for the first time from scratch!  It's actually very easy. 
Here's a recipe inspired from the TasteofHome, posted on allrecipes.com (note: if you need to adjust the servings, follow the link below)

Traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage

Ingredients

2/3 medium onion, cut into wedges
2-3/4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
11 ounces baby carrots
2 cups water
2 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 bay leaf
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1-3/4 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet, cut in half
2/3 small head cabbage, cut into wedges



Directions
This recipe's Ingredients were scaled to yield a new amount. The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield of 6 to 8 servings.

1.Place the onion, potatoes and carrots in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine water, garlic, bay leaf, sugar, vinegar, pepper and contents of spice packet; pour over the vegetables. Top with brisket and cabbage. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.






Corned Beef and Cabbage is one of my favorites.  I never realized it's popularity until I asked people at work if they wanted to have corned beef and cabbage or Irish Stew.  Everyone I asked agreed "Corned Beef and Cabbage!"  A lot of people were excited about eating it too, so for St. Patrick's Day, I will be making corned beef and cabbage for my friends at work. .

I only hope this recipe turns out wonderful! 

I brought my gumbo to work today and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that the corned beef and cabbage will be just as good.

Follow-up:  After making this recipe, it's a keeper!  It turned out wonderful.  I will be making this for St. Patrick's day tomorrow to share with my co-workers!  I tried looking for other recipes and realize this is the easiest to make.  It's fast and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails