Saturday, March 27, 2010

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

I had a great time a Chili's tonight, celebrating a friend's birthday.  But after drinking two cokes and a mojito, I need to rehydrate.  I normally don't drink, but today was the exception.  I never thought a mojito could taste so good...  It reminded me of sprite. 

Earlier in the day, I had a vegetable panini.  By the time we got to chilis though, I ended up indulging in artichoke and spinach dip with chips, cheese fries, and fried jalapeno and onion strips.  It sure is difficult to find meatless entrees on their menu, but at least they exist.

Although I didn't eat any meat today, I did the other day when  I made chicken tortilla soup.  The recipe is from "Today's Creative Crock Pot Cook Book," written by Robin Taylor Swatt.  It's a definite keeper.

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
14 oz. can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted, if available)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
6 corn tortillas, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
4 cups chicken broth
1 Tbs. fresh cilantro, minced
1 large ripe avocado, diced
6 oz. crumbly fresh cheese, such as feta
2 cups tortilla chips, crumbled, for garnish
2 limes, cut into wedges

Place the chicken, tomatoes, peppers, chopped tortillas, garlic, onion, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and chicken broth in the Crock-Pot slow cooker.  Cover; cook on Low 4 to 6 hours ( or on High 2 to 3 hours).

Carefully remove the chicken and, when cool enough to handle, shred using two forks.  Place the shredded chicken back into the stoneware and add the cilantro.  Ladle the soup into bowls and top with avocado, cheese, and crumbled tortilla chips.  Squeeze the juice of a lime wedge over the top of each serving.








I put all the ingredients needed into my slow cooker.  I blasted it on high for 2 hours.  In the mean-time, I had a good run in the neighborhood up and down hills, passing homes full of scary barking dogs.  I don't know if I should run that route again.  By the time I came home, however, I was happy to have dinner ready and waiting.  I even had left overs for work the next day.   There's nothing like chicken tortilla soup.

The slow cooker version of Chicken Tortilla Soup turned out incredible.  It was simple to toss everything into a slow cooker, but still have a flavorful dish in the end.  I love this recipe much more than the one I tried to make from the Food Network Magazine.  I can't wait to make it again.

I added some corn tortillas, which I broiled for a couple of minutes.  I made it into strips and added it to the soup.  I also used mexican cheese and added a bunch of cilantro for garnish.  You can always adjust a recipe to fit your needs and you should because it will make your soup that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails