Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Herbed Quinoa & Kale Bean Soup

It finally hit me that I must eat better and truly take care of my health.  It's a long story.  All I can say is that I don't want to eat ice cream for dinner anymore or indulge in limitless amounts of chocolate just because it tastes good. 

A food that I recently tried is Quinoa.  It is considered one of the most nutritious grains out there!  It's a superfood with a balance of protien and amino acids excellent for one's health.  Yesterday, I made Quinoa Tabouleh. 

It's easy to make!  Quinoa is also one of the fastest cooking grains.  Believe me, it is.  It only took nearly 15 minutes to cook.  Afterward, I chopped some garlic cloves, cilantro, basil, green onions, and sparingly added ground garlic pepper salt for flavor. 

I added enough herbs for it to be nutritious, yet flavorful.  Add the amount you want to make it a salad just right for your taste buds.



Afterward because I was in my obsessive health mode, I made a kale bean soup.  I found the recipe on the Whole Foods Website.  Here it is:





Ingredients


2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup diced yellow onion
4 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 (32-ounce) box 365 Organic Everyday Value™ Vegetable Broth
4 cups packed chopped kale
1 (14.5-ounce) can 365 Organic Everyday Value™ Italian-Style Diced Tomatoes
1 (14.5-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5-ounce) can 365 Everyday Value™ Sliced Carrots, drained; or two large carrots, peeled and sliced

Method

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer. Add broth, kale and tomatoes (and fresh carrots, if using) and cover. Cook 5 minutes or until kale is tender. Add beans and canned carrots and heat thoroughly. Serve hot.
Nutrition

Per serving (about 20oz/567g-wt.): 230 calories (70 from fat), 8g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 1120mg sodium , 32g total carbohydrate (7g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 8g protein

 
I did have to modify my recipe a bit, but I still enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails