Monday, February 8, 2010

Oven-fried Parmesan Chicken & a Simple Garlic Vegetable Pasta

For those of you who are fans of Parmesan Chicken, you may enjoy this "oven-fried" recipe.  The recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens "Best Comfort Food," magazine, pg. 73.

Ingredients

1 egg lightly beaten
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 teaspon dried oregano, crushed
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 to 2 1/2 pounds meaty chicken pieces, skinned (breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
Snipped fresh oregano (optional)

1.  Preheat oven to 375F.  In a small bowl, combine egg and milk.  In a shallow dish, combine Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, oregano, paprika, and pepper.

2.  Dip chicken pieces into egg mixture; coat with crumb mixture.  Arrange chicken pieces in a greased large shallow baking pan, making sure pieces don't touch.  Drizzle with melted butter.

3.  Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink (170 F for breasts; 180F for thights and drumsticks).  Do not turn chicken pieces during baking.  If desired, garnish with fresh oregano.

Note: 6 servings. Per serving 277 calories, 16g fat (5 saturated), 112 mg. cholesterol., 306 mg. sodium, 4 g carbo., 0 g fiber, 28 g pro.


I used imported Italian parmesan cheese.  I wish I had fresh oregano.  I also used chicken breasts, although I think it would have been better if I chose meaty pieces (with bones) for more flavor.


Dip chicken in egg and coat with bread crumb mixture

I totally forgot to take a picture of the end result.  The Parmesan Chicken recipe was okay in my book.  It was good to try, but not something I totally love because I thought it could use a ton more flavor.  However, with a nice marinara or garlic infused pasta, the parmesan chicken definitely complements the meal.

In the end, I did decide to make a garlic infused pasta which fit perfectly with the parmesan chicken.  I used Bertolli's stuffed wild mushroom and cheese ravioli.  First, boil the pasta according to directions.

Then,  I used 1 zucchini, a handful of tiny tri-colored bell peppers, some mushrooms, a handful of Italian parsley, and a ton of garlic.  I added the pasta and after sauteing all the vegetables with it, I had a wonderful pasta that exceeded my expectations.  I tossed some of the freshest ingredients I had on hand for a satisfying and healthy meal.

The pasta was awesome ... It went very well with the chicken.

Let me know if it turned out great for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails