Monday, February 1, 2010

Chicken Posole Soup

For the past few months, I've been obsessively purchasing cooking books and magazines.  My most recent purchase?  "Best Comfort Food."  I had looked through many magazines and finally decided to purchase this one because there's nothing like classic, comforting meals.    

I never had chicken posole soup before, but it looked really good.  I was in the mood for a tomato type soup, so I thought I'd try this recipe out.  It turned out better than I expected. 

I had no clue what hominy was before making this recipe.  I thought it was some type of bean, but I was wrong.  It's actually corn.  The magazine states it best: "Hominy, corn that has been soaked in a solution to remove the hulls..." Suprisingly, hominy is really good.  I didn't know what to expect.  To me, it tastes like corn tortillas.  It's really good.

I'm not sure what chicken posole tastes like in Mexico, but I sure would love to try some.  In the mean-time, I hope this recipe is close enough.  I wouldn't know, but to me it's a good soup I'll continue to make because it's quick and easy.

Ingredients:

2 tspns vegetable oil
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon hot chili powder
4 cups chopped cooked chicken
2 14-oz cans reduced sodium chicken broth
1 28-oz can plum-shape peeled tomatoes in puree, cut up
1 15-oz can yellow or white hominy, drained
1 10-ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
2 4-oz cans diced green chile peppers, drained
Lime wedges (optional)
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (4 ounces)
Halved grape tomatoes, snipped fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, and corn tortilla chips (optional)

1.  In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion, cumin, and chili powder; cook until onion is tender.  Add chicken, chicken broth, undrained tomatoes, hominy, corn, and chile peppers.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occassionally.

2.  To serve, ladle soup into bowls.  If desired, squeeze a lime wedge over soup.  Top soup with cheese, grape tomatoes, cilantro, sliced avocado, and/or tortilla chips as desired.  Serve immediately.

I did have a hard time finding some of the ingredients.  I added more hominy than required in the soup, but I loved it.  I also had to use other tomato based products to substitute for "plum-shaped" tomatoes in puree.  I never even heard of such thing, so I used whole tomatoes and added tomato puree.  It worked for me! Iyou can't find certain ingredients, get as close as possible. 






This recipe serves 8.  It's a great soup especially when you have guests over.  Try it out sometime!  I couldn't stop eating.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails