Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Old Lady Next Door

I wasn't sure how I would say good bye to the old lady next door.  I wanted to avoid it, but knew I could no longer.

In the morning, I waited for her light to come on and door to open. I handed her some beautiful flowers my mom picked out.  I told her the news that I'm leaving for Japan because of school and that I won't be returning home to Hawaii ...

Today, while I was sleeping, I heard a knock on my door and a loud "Mary!" in my window.  She handed me some TV dinners and told me that "you are my favorite neighbor." 

I never imagined it would be this hard to say good bye to the old lady next door. 

She's a very sweet lady who can drink more beer than the average man. For a woman in her 80s, she's definitely stylish and knows how to take care of herself.  She always reminisces about her college days in Iowa and how her sister is as tall as I am, but she is the shortest. She's always feeding the stray cats outside even though it is against the rules ... She dosen't care and will do whatever she wants, which I find intriguing.  There are so many things that I will remember and miss about her ...

Unfortunately, she doesn't have a lot of visitors and I wish that her children would spend more time with her.  The sign below is something my aunt had posted, which is so true!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails