Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, Washington D.C.

The Vietnam Veteran's Memorial

The first time I visited the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, I struggled to walk past the names of the fallen.  A mid-aged woman stood at the wall, weeping for a loved one.  The memory has been forever etched into my mind.

Some interesting facts?

According to Tanya Lloyd, author of Washington D.C., the wall was designed by 21 year old Maya Lin, an architecture student from Yale, who had been selected from over 1,400 applicants.   There are nearly 57,000 names listed on the wall.  Loved ones oftentimes visit Washington D.C. to rub the names of their loved ones onto paper. 









I wish I had a close-up of the wall, but it was too difficult for me to take a photo.  The first time I visited the memorial sight, I walked as quickly as I possibly could, as a deep sadness began to fill inside of me.  Observing the lady weeping at the wall was tough to watch because I can only imagine it must have been a father or maybe even a brother she lost during the war. 

The Vietnam War is one of the most controversial wars noted today.  The Vietnam Veteran's Memorial honors those who served and the fallen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails