Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Golden Key International Honour Society

At first, the mail I had been receiving from Golden Key International Honour Society seemed like a scam.  I ignored the email for quite some time until a couple of days before the new member initiation ceremony, I decided to see what it was all about.  I checked out their website and decided to join.  I'm glad I did!

It seemed like GK not only stood for something positive, but the benefits available to members were quite impressive.  I felt terrible that I waited last minute to RSVP for the initiation ceremony, but luckily everything worked out great!

When I first walked in, I wasn't sure what to expect!  I also wasn't sure where I should sit.  I signed in and sat next to a young man who had been sitting alone.  My husband and I sat there for a short time not saying a word, but I knew I would eventually talk because I make it a point to be friendly to everyone because it's more fun that way.  It also makes things less akward when you are sitting on a table with complete strangers!

The man we sat next to was really interesting!  He had the same major as me and loved to study abroad.  Eventually, more people sat on our table, including a female from Belarus and a former military couple who came to the initiation ceremony for their daughter.



The initiation ceremony was extremely laid back and informal, which was nice.  There was entertainment by a Filipino club, a thought provoking speech, and great food!  There was also a slide show on all of the volunteer events the club has participated in. GK definitely does contribute a lot of time to community service I found, which I find totally awesome.


In the end, we had to take  a group photo.  It's the 20th anniversary of Golden Key, so they wanted a photo with everyone in it! (yes, it was a bit awkward). I tried to hide in the back.


I thought the initiation ceremony was very nice.   They did a great job and put a lot of hardwork and effort into making this event worthwhile for others.  I was shocked to hear that graduates may receive a $10,000 scholarship if they qualify!  And to hear that no one applied to some of these scholarships is suprising.

I look forward to being a part of GK and hope that it's not another honour society, but something much more.

BTW, my pictures definitely aren't the greatest.  I felt awkward taking pictures in the ballroom and many of the photos did not come out due to lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails