Monday, August 23, 2010

Riding a Becak - Yogyakarta, Indonesia

I finally rode a becak!  It was a goal of mine ever since I saw photos of it in my Indonesian language text books while studying bahasa Indonesia as an undergraduate at UH Manoa. 

While in Yogyakarta, I knew I had to ride a becak or else I would regret it.  I wasn't sure when I would return to Indonesia again, so I knew I had to at least ride a becak once before leaving the country.  I finally got my chance a couple of weeks ago and I'm so glad I did it!



Vis and I were shopping like maniacs while our friends were already sitting in the car waiting for our return, so we decided to take the becak to get to the car quickly. With shopping bags, coffee, and donuts in hand, we sat together in the becak screaming and laughing hysterically as the becak driver weaved in and out of traffic.  It was too much fun.

It was insane how the becak driver calmy weaved in and out of traffic amongst all of the cars, trucks, and horse carriages on the road.  I'm amazed at how much energy they have to exert on a daily basis in order to work as a becak driver, but they must be in incredible shape for it too. 

Wish I had a photo on a becak with my friend ... I guess there's always next time.





There are a lot of things I've experienced in Indonesia, a country with some of the most unique forms of transportation.  I also rode a horse carriage and hopped onto the back of several motorcyles too, which was a first for me.  I can't wait to ride another becak again!

4 comments:

  1. I think I'd be nervous in that traffic, but it looks like fun! Those drivers must be very fit to cart people around like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you enjoying the transportation in Indonesia because some people afraid and didin't want to try Indonesian transportation..hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eleni, they are super fit! Thng is that some of them are super old too, but they can peddle away.

    Joh, you definitely have to try one someday too! =)

    Hello Mas Wimbo! Yep, I love it. Thanks for taking me on your motor bike. hehehehe It was fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails