Sunday, August 22, 2010

Indulging in Ronde - Indonesia

One of most memorable foods I've had in Indonesia is Ronde, a favorite dessert sold on the streets of Indonesia.

There's no other way for me to describe ronde, except as a hot, sweet ginger soup.  It's a delicious Indonesian dessert that I only wish I had the recipe for ...  Inside, there are two or three gooey balls of dough with filling in it and tiny pieces of jelly in the soup too.  The best part is the gooey balls of dough, which I always save for last.  I wish I had words to describe ronde, but that's the best I can do.




Since ronde is oftentimes sold on the streets at night, I enjoyed eating it right after dinner, before heading home with my two younger "sisters."  It was my goal to try all flavors before returning home, but a week ago I discovered that there are more flavors than I had thought! While there are the typical flavors of orange, milk, chocolate milk, and chocolate to name a few, there are many more flavors yet to be discovered.

The first time I ate ronde, I thought it was such an awesome experience to be sitting at a table, on a sidewalk outside, eating dessert.  I'll never forget it. 





There's appetizers on the table to choose from, if you wish, but you have to pay for the items you eat.  I wondered, "How will the the vendor know if someone ate something from the table?" but I quickly learned that the honor system is still used in Indonesia.



While you are eating, there are entertainers (pengamen) that like to come by and sing  You can wave them away or give them some money, but be prepared. You'll see more than one at your table and they don't always leave right away, so carry some change on you.  I thought it was pretty funny and it truly is something to see.  I have never seen a female pengamen yet, but so far all are young men. 
While I enjoy eating ronde, it' an experience in itself.  I can't wait to eat it again.

2 comments:

  1. Those gooey balls of dough with filling sound the same as the traditional Chinese desserts, Yuanxiao. You should be able to find it in the raw form in most of the Asian grocery store. All you have to do is to boil them and then put in any kind of sweet soup you like.

    http://www.chinapictures.org/photo/chinese-festivals/lantern-festival/40205174332037/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuanxiao? I'll have to find it! If it's the same thing, that's so great! Thanks for the info John.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails