Saturday, April 3, 2010

Southwestern Vegetable Soup

I really wanted something similar to chicken tortilla soup, except with more vegetables.  I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but when I tasted this thown together recipe, I loved it!  I didn't use any meat.

I can't call this recipe vegetarian though because I used chicken broth, but i'm still in the process of modifying it to make it even better.  It's my first attempt, but I will continue to modify it.  Next time I will use black beans (more) and will omit the garlic salt.  It's not necessary.  I also used some taco seasoning, but I think I will stick to natural ingredients to enhance the flavor next time.

1/2 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 (14 oz)  can    
1 (14 oz) can chili beans
1/4 hot salsa
1/2 bag of fiesta blend frozen vegetables
1 can diced green chiles
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 onion
1-2 clove garlic
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
pepper
taco seasoning (1/4 package)

Cook garlic and onions.  Add chicken broth, diced and whole tomatoes, salsa, green chiles, and seasoning.  Then, add the beans and vegatables.  Simmer.

Afterward, add the toppins.  The soup is further enhanced with the toppings.  They are a must.

Toppings:
mexican cheese
cilantro
green onions
avocado
tortilla strips (optional)









Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails