Sunday, April 11, 2010

Relay for Life Hawaii

After volunteering for the HUGS luncheon, I headed over to UH Manoa to check out Relay for Life.

Groups of participants stay over night from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. to support Relay for Life, which helps raise funds for the American Cancer Society. Participants show their support for cancer survivors and honor those who have lost their lives as a result.  Relay for Life is also about cancer awareness and many survivors also attend the event.



In the begining, they encouraged all of us to walk a lap for the cause.  From what I heard, one older man walked 40 miles last night.  I saw him walking earlier in the night, but had no idea he would complete 40 miles around the track!  Very impressive.




The theme for this year's event was the movies, so there were quite a few students who dressed up to suppot the cause.  Supporters walk or run around the track, while others play sports or participate in games during the night.









I couldn't stay the entire time, but I had a chance to at least walk around the track and stay a couple of hours.

At the event, I ran into a former classmate of mine who is also a cancer survivor. And from what I hear, there were quite a few cancer survivors who took the stage to share their stories of survival.   I heard it was quite emotional.

Although I could only stay  a couple of hours, next year I may camp out like the others and take part in all that happens at Relay for Life.  It is for a good cause and seems like a lot of fun too.  I would love to experience an entire night of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails