Monday, October 26, 2009

A Del Monte Healthy & Budget-friendly Meal

Monday to Wednesday, I'm extremely busy with work and school than any other day of the week.  Since I can't eat out everyday, I made a quick, healthy, & budget-friendly meal in less than an hour for dinner tonight.  I found it on the back of a Del Monte corn can, which I purchased today at the grocery store.

Saucy Chicken and Vegetables

Prep:  15 minutes  Cook: 10 minutes Servings: 4

1 can (15-1/4 oz.) Del Monte Whole Kernel Golden Sweet Corn, No Salt Added, drained.
1 can (14-1/2 oz. Del Monte Original Recipe Stewed Tomatoes, No Salt Added
6 oz. (1-1/4 cups) chopped cooked chicken
1/2 cup chopped green or red sweet pepper
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 3/4 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1/2 tsp. instant chicken bouillon granules
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 cups hot cooked rice

1.  Combine corn, tomatoes, chicken, sweet pepper, thyme, bouillon granules and crushed red pepper in medium saucepan; heat through.
2.  Serve over rice




I cooked my own chicken instead of buying pre-cooked meat.



Mix all of the ingredients and add more as necessary.  I thought the recipe was very, very bland, so I more than trippled the amount of spices and herbs, as you can see below.






I made saffron rice (from a package!).  It was just as quick as making rice in the rice cooker.  It only took 20 minutes.



Well, that's my dinner for tonight!  I added mushrooms (see Martha Stewart's Sauteed Mushrooms with Thyme recipe) to tonights meal too.



The Del Monte recipe was VERY bland!  You'll definitely want to adjust the flavor to meet your needs.  My heart goes out to those who cannot use salt because this recipe is ultimately for those who are cutting back on their sodium intake.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails