Sunday, April 19, 2009

HUGS

For the past two months, I helped plan and organize a luncheon for seriously/terminally ill children. We finally had the luncheon today and it was incredible. It was a lot of hard work, but totally worth it to see the children smile and for their families to have a chance to relax. I can only imagine what the families must go through, as well as the children, so it was nice to plan an event for them.

I cannot thank the volunteers enough for the incredible support of this event because it wouldn't have been possible without them. There were so many volunteers and people willing to donate money, gifts, plastic easter eggs, and more. When it seemed like I would face coordination challenges, things somehow came together miraculously.

There was a lack of easter eggs this year, so I worried about the number of plastic eggs I actually had. However, yesterday I received an incredible response from my co-workers who came by with bags of easter eggs. Today, my other co-worker brought more eggs! I went from having 124 to almost 400 within a matter of a day! The outpouring of suport was indescribable.

Midnight, last night, I also found out the amount of kids who would attend had more than doubled. The amount of kids increased from 17 to 42. I had to run out to the store to make additional goody bags, while I still needed to bake brownies and make funnel cake batter. It was a long past two days, but completely worth it. The help I received allowed for things to also run smoothly. I had so much help! I was happy there were more children who attended also. The more the merrier! I am also glad that everything worked out exactly how I had envisioned.

I learned a lot from the experience and in someway, it changed me. I saw how much people cared about this event and what they were will to do to make today possible. The compassion I saw truly touched my heart.

With all the crazy things happening in the world today, it's nice to be apart of and to witness the compassionate, caring, and hopeful side of life with events such as these.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails