Friday, April 24, 2009

Ballroom Dancing

Last night, I went ballroom dancing! Actually, "I tried my best to learn" would be a better statement describing last night. It was a lot of fun and a whole lot of hard work, but totally worth it. I absolutely loved it!

My husband is taking an anthropology class and was assigned to try something out of the ordinary. He also had to choose a group of people who meet consistently, at least once a week. Initially, he chose martial arts, but there weren't enough consistent attendees. After his teacher suggested ballroom dancing, he decided to go for it because it's something out of his comfort zone, as well as something we could both do together for fun. I am pretty much open to try anything, so I went with him and I'm glad I did.

It took us forever to find the dance hall. In fact, we missed the first class! We were tired, hungry, and almost reconsidered attending. However, we gave it one last shot. We turned into a driveway and to our surprise, we found the palladium! We were so happy because after a while, we were getting quite frustrated. Once we found it though, we were the happiest people alive!

When we walked into the dance hall, there were students practicing the Rumba. Many of the dancers were well into their 60s, if not older. There were about 2 other young couples, suprisingly. The dance floor was huge! There was a dance instructor who had a microphone headset to guide all the students through each step. There were also teachers everywhere to help students, like my husband and I, who needed the most help.

Since the man is suppossed to lead, the instructors often danced with the men to help guide them. Help was everywhere and students even offered assistance. I was really happy, although nervous at the same time because I couldn't quite get the steps down. However, after practicing it a million times, my husband and I slowly started to get the hang of it. It was so much fun!

Many of the instructors have been dancing for several decades. The nice thing about the students and instructors was that they were so positive and helpful. The instructors seemed to enjoy our company and I noticed they encourage younger people to join because the majority of them are much, much older. The prices are also quite reasonable too.

I am glad we found the palladium and I definitely look forward to going back next week! We had the chance to learn basic steps for the Waltz and Samba. I can't wait to see what we'll learn next week! In the future, I hope to improve and I would also like to continue dancing because it's so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails