Friday, December 17, 2010

Fairmont Park's Kelly Drive, Philadelphia PA - A Runner's Heaven

It was only a few months ago when I visited Philadelphia for a couple of days to attend a wedding.  I knew I had to squeeze a run in though, so I headed to Fairmont Park. 

If you've ever seen the movie Rocky, he runs up the stairs of a musuem, as he works out.  The musuem featured in Rocky is the same area where Kelly Drive is located.  Behind the musuem, there is an area to run, bike, rollerblade, and more.  It's just a beautiful park with a lot to do.  It's nestled near a lakeside and has old homes alongside the river that attract many outdoors to view its sights or to relax in the park.



There are pieces of art work scattered throughout the park and if one was to run around the entire park's loop, it would equal approximately 8 miles.  I only ran 4 because I was completely out of breathe and tired.  It's horrible I know, but I was really out of shape up until September!  I truly had to force myself to run. 

I couldn't believe how many people were running outside!  I can understand why though because the beauty of the park made me want to return for a run! There are also bathrooms scattered throughout the park, making it conveninent for runners.   As I was running, I also saw many amazing looking statues and pieces of art work.  I ran alongside the river and saw a train pass by, while I was there too.

After finishing the run, I saw the most incredible view of the boathouses from a far.  There is a nice restaurant that is also on the edge of the water.  I have not been there yet, but I would love to try it sometime in the future!

I was more than grateful to have finished the run finally.  It sure was a work out!  Before my 4 mile run, I had barely run for several months.



The more I visit Philadelphia, the more I enjoy returning to the city.  I love the center of the city so much that I would not mind living there.  It's a college-town area rich in art, culture, and history. I can't wait to run at Fairmont Park's Kelly Drive again.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see some new posts from you! Look like that you got to have some fun besides study! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John! I finished my finals yesterday, so now I'm on vacation. Woo hoo! =) Happy Holidays to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a beautiful park. I need to find a good place to run in Honolulu. Do you know any good spots? I live between UH Manoa and Punahou...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Eleni! My friend lives in the same area and I ran there. It was tough LOL I actually found a good spot around campus at UH Manoa, but I still have to find good places in your area. I'll let you know when I find out =) We need nice parks like that! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails