Thursday, June 17, 2010

Arriving in Salatiga, Indonesia

After staying in Yogyakarta for the night, it was time to leave the hotel for my next destination.  As I waited outside of the airport, taxi driver's constantly asked if I needed a ride, but I politely smiled and said "no thanks." I had a ride and was eventually greeted by a friendly face from the school.  Thank goodness!

It was a bumpy, two hour ride to Salatiga.  It was also extremely hot outside.  Extremely.  In fact, I had already consumed 5 bottles of water and it still wasn't enough. 

Once we arrived at the school's guest house, I had a chance to relax.  Here's my lovely room. I actually had a room to myself.


I desperately wanted to call my family too, which came with a set of interesting challenges.   I had a chance to walk around the neighborhood in the evening and met some of my classmates too.  I was already having a blast and was completely intrigued by my interesting surroundings.


The sights and sounds of Indonesia are very different from Hawaii.  There's so much I still have to learn about my surroundings.  The first time I saw a baby on a motorcycle, my mouth dropped. At times, I see entire families on a single motorcycle.  It still amazes me.

I'm still getting used to Indonesia, a place I'm quickly falling in love with.  It's a beautiful country and I hope to explore even more of the region. 

1 comment:

  1. It looks so much like the country side of lots of Asian countries such as China or Taiwan. Good that you got to the final destination safely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails