Friday, January 28, 2011

Sophie by Mem Fox

In need of a good children's book?

Recently, my teacher shared a book called Sophie by Mem Fox with us.  It inspired me to want to collect children's books, so that I can use them in the future since i'm studying to be an ESL/EFL teacher.

The book is about a girl named Sophie who is not born yet.  But once she is born, her grandfather takes care of her.  They love each other very much.  But as he begins to age, she begins to take care of grandpa just as he had done for her, until he passes away.  Although sad, the cycle of life continues once Sophie has a child of her own and the story continues ...

As my teacher read the text and showed us the illustrations, I thought to myself, "I don't like where this story is going..." because it made me want to cry.  I can't deny not having a tear in my eye.  But it is a powerful story that may be useful for many children, especially if they are dealing with a similar situation in their own lives.

If you ever see this book, please read it!  Then, you will know exactly what I am talking about.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails