Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Homestay Accomodations in Ubud

After staying the night in Kuta, I caught a bus to Ubud with some friends who were also planning to study in the region.  Ubud, an artsy town full of Balinese culture, is a place I'll definitely return to again in the future. 

When I first got off the bus, it felt chaotic.  I had to grab my heavy bag from the bus and once I exited, I noticed there were a lot of hustlers wanting you to stay at their "hotel". It was surreal.

As I was walking, over and over again people would ask, "Do you have a hotel?" If you answer yes, the next question they ask is, "What hotel are you staying at?" to check.  It was the strangest feeling ever. I really needed a hotel, but I wasn't sure who to trust since in Hawaii, it's uncommon for people to offer you a place to stay.  But in Ubud, I quickly learned, it's common practice and it's easy to find a clean, safe place to stay even if you are traveling alone. 

Although I refused many offers out of paranoia, I was eventually convinced.  As I was waiting for a taxi, an older gentleman asked if I had a place to stay since he had a room available at his homestay accommodation.  It wouldn't hurt to look, I thought to myself.  The first thing that caught my attention was the temple and it looked like a safe enough area.



Then, we walked through the area and up two long stairs to find a large room with a beautiful view of the neighborhood.



I had planned to find a hotel I saw online instead to be safe, but I decided to take a look at the room being offered first and I'm glad I did.  It was nice and only about $10.00 US a night.  It was a great deal and the view from my room was incredible.  I was still a bit unsure and paranoid since it's not normal for people to offer you a room, but I decided I would stay because I felt comfortable with the location.  There were many foreigners living in the surrounding area too, as well as locals.

Here's my lovely room ...


I'm glad I chose a home stay accommodation because it truly was a great deal.  Although I could barely find a place for $40.00 US online, I was able to find a clean and comfortable room for only $10.00 US at a homestay.  When I return to Ubud, I will choose a homestay accommodation again. 

Of course, a homestay isn't a luxurious resort for those of you who need more "comfort."  I'm not a high maintenance girl though, so staying at a homestay was perfect.  I had a bed to sleep on and hot water.  It may take 10 minutes to get hot water, but it was worth it.  In the mornings, I also had breakfast readily available.  Fresh fruit, two pieces of toast, and hot tea.  What else could I ask for?



Try a homestay sometime!

3 comments:

  1. The place looks clean at least, hope no cockroaches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks really nice! Especially considering it's $10. I'm paranoid, too. My mom always taught me never to go home with strangers! I would be super nervous about it, but I guess chances are it's fine. As long as someone knows where you are... Glad it worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, no roaches! hehehe It was nice.

    I also brought my friend who was familiar with the area because I was afraid. hehehe It was also an established homestay, but at first I was paranoid too. hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails