Friday, June 5, 2009

Shaken by a Hit and Run

I'm still shaking after coming off the scene of a hit and run. I was driving behind an SUV when it got T-Boned by another car that ran a red light. The SUV flipped twice and landed on the grassy curbside. Since I couldn't block the intersection and because I wanted to get the license plate number of the vehicle that fled, I quickly sped up to chase the vehicle. Fortunately, I have good eyes and was able to get the license plate!

I immediately parked, grabbed my phone, and called the police. I ran towards the SUV. I was terrified at the thought of having to do first aid, but knew I would have to remember whatever I learned in the case I needed to provide assistance. I was one of the first few on the scene. Thankfully though, three Army Medics witnessed the crash and ran towards the vehicle, faster than I could get out of my car and reach 911. I love Army Medics! OMG, they are awesome.

The old man inside had been driving with his daughter. Both were unharmed, but the daughter was pinned in the vehicle temporarily until help arrived. It was really sad to see. I wanted to cry. I asked the older gentleman if he was okay and he responded quietly, "yes." His arm was bleeding, as he remained quiet, sitting on the grassy curbside not saying a word. An older woman, a resident in the area, sat next to him for comfort. It times like these, the compassion people exhibit is incredible.

The vehicle that fled lost something very important: a bumper with a license plate! A couple of residents living in the area picked it up and brought it towards the vehicle. It was proof, better proof than the description I had of the car. All I could get was the license plate and the color of the car. Other than that, I wouldn't have had a clue about the type of car it was because of how focused I was on getting the license plate and because of the rush of adrenaline being pumped through my body.

I took a photo and wanted to take more, but felt it might not be a good idea. I did get a single close-up though. A ton of residents came out to witness the scene. There were police cars pulling up, as well as several paramedics assisting.

After providing my statement as a witness, I was told I could leave. I drove away.

When I was at the scene of the accident, a resident had said that they saw the perpetrators run over the fence. Now, there are helicopters hovering over the neighborhood, which means they are probably looking for the perpetrators.

I cannot believe that anyone could flee the scene of an accident in such a cruel manner. A second vehicle also passed and offered no assistance, which I found quite shocking. However, I also noticed how quickly others responded with compassion and it makes you realize that there are still far more good people in this world. It's a comforting thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails